“Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.”
Card messages in the Illuminated position.
(stature, confident, commanding, presence, vigor, decisive, self possessed)
- Primary power originates within. It comes from the focus of self upon knowledge. Expertise and authority derive from it. Sharing your genius makes you a more potent person! You are the only expert of you.
- While you may accept direction and advice from a trusted authority, the power of decision rests with you. Accept nothing that takes your power away.
- Apply authority over your doubt and your doubt will have no power.
- To believe in yourself and to be responsible for what you do in the name of it, is the right use of power.
Quotes illustrating the Overleaf in this pole
- “He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still” Lao Tzu
- “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” Abraham Lincoln
- “Knowledge is power.”: Francis Bacon
- “Self-reverence, self-knowledge, self-control — these three alone lead to power. Alfred Lord Tennyson
- “The secret of all power is – save your force. Joseph Farrell
- “When I dare to be powerful – to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.” ~Audre Lorde
Card messages in the Shadow position.
(abuser, autocracy, bullying, disapproving, browbeating, threatening, obnoxious, overbearing, arbitrary, imposing)
- Authority granted from institutions may allow oppression to be visited upon those who dissent. Fearing the weakness of it position, the oppressor invokes power to threaten and imposes obedience. Keep on eye on those who conform from fear; they can’t be trusted. The voice of the dissenter may casts doubt, but in doing so shed light on a bully.
- Any form of intimidation is oppressive. It saps energy like a vampire sucks blood. Time to be bold and stake them to the wall.
- All it takes to be oppressive, is an imbalance of power. Be alert to whomever might be overstepping their bounds.
- Forcing another to your way or overpowering them invites a struggle.
Historic Quotes signifying the quality of the Overleaf in this pole
- “He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.” Martin Luther King Jr.
- “The power of man has grown in every sphere, except over himself.” Winston Churchill
- “Being powerful is like being a lady, if you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.” Margaret Thatcher
- “Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.” Author Unknown
- “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” Alice Walker
Relevance within the Michael Teaching – Exalted Expression
Power, perhaps more than any other Overleaf, represents a core element of personal expression. An Essence who chooses this mode wants the personality to be noticed and usually to be reckoned with in some way. Commonly, negative Power Mode people may be outspoken all the way to overblown, overbearing, and outrageous. There is no illustrative example of this than Rush Limbaugh.
Essence desires Power Mode when pushing outward for bold or expansionary experience is required. If a person is in Power, it would be erroneous to assume that they are good at it, let alone familiar with it. Power mode compels a person within themselves to know what they are about and employ it in the external world. While not every Power Mode person can be called an expert. Many adopt a tone of such self assurance that listening to them one might think of a lecturer or politician pontificating.
Gaining certainty is often a slow process, but it is one where life force is generated and is harvested. Associated with the 5th Chakra, one must speak to inform others of their position or personal truth. That truth may be a restatement of some time honored values or a unique formulation for a life task that demands a new solution; one that might even be violently opposed.
Harrison Ford, Cher, Margaret Thatcher, Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Madonna, Rush Limbaugh, Henry Kissinger, Werner Erhardt, Madonna, Socrates, Orson Wells, Mitt Romney, Malcolm X, William Randolph Hearst, Bill Cosby, Count Dracula, J.K. Rowling, Rasputin, Joan Crawford, Mao Tse Tung, Frank Sinatra, Angelica Houston,
Empowerment is a buzzword which articulates the transfer of authority from one individual or group to another. Dis-empowerment attends those people or institutions which effectively oppress or antagonize the growth of another or a movement with fierce opposition and seeking to disable that force before it takes root. Parents are the first line of empowerment for the child. What makes empowerment different from debilitating enabling regards the way that support is provided. Instruction and presence is the key to empowerment. Show a child how to do something, tell them why you want it done, and yes, what’s in it for them, and most importantly that you will continue to love them even when their initial attempts fail. But their attempts not you doing it for them or badgering them to do it alone! When these conditions are met it produces a being ready to risk temporary failure or in-completion knowing that they are supported from behind. Children, more than at any age know when you are “watching out for them”. Meaning you will not withdraw and they not fear the loss of safety and stability which, for the first seven years of life, rest solely with the modeling that the parent provides. This is empowerment.
How has this translated into the modern landscape? Individuals often fearing loss of livelihood are thrust into a struggle to gain power over someone else. Countries exploit or are exploited in a see-saw strike and counterstrike fashion in attempts to either secure their position or expel those who would “take advantage” Power struggles seems to have become extreme in this last 50 years. For one thing the stakes are higher and more global. It is when imbalances such as these between halves and have-nots move further from a balanced center, then we see the action of oppressive forces acting upon both parties for reasons stated above. Status rules the mind for those who love power.
The battle between the powerful and powerless is a harbinger that both experience the insecurity of lack. The only difference is that one side is active and swarms to acquire whatever and wherever it can, and the other side passively languishes but grows increasingly, eventually explosively resentful. The only way to stem this tide is to end what on many levels is active disempowerment (i.e. greater economic inequality and the diminishment of opportunities while imposing greater demands for less recompense); and for those who experience themselves as disabled or disempowered to rise and assert themselves.
Oppressors are being overthrown in the Middle East in 2011. An expression of this Mode showing reactiveness to imbalances created from inequality. The purpose of consciousness is not to find new ways to act on Darwinian dictates of “survival of the fittest” but to elevate an entire species and the planet to a higher level of fitness and thriving. The ultimate power is the authority one might gain over themselves to active in pursuit of values and principle and not only personal agendas. More than a simplistic philosophical aspiration, the ownership of conscious individual power focused upon the goal of power rather than dominance over others, promotes the well being of both the individual and the whole.
Power is your Mode if…
- You believe yourself to be deserved because you are competent.
- I know that I can bowl people over when I am angry or self righteous.
- Power in a situation is easy for me to take.
- My desire to be seen as a knowledgeable and competent is preeminent.
- I secretly wish that people would see that my view is the right one.
by Stephen Cocconi © 2011
For a Tarot Session or Channeled Consultation call: 209.768-4956209.768-4956 or email Stephen at email@example.com